Thursday, 13 February 2014

13th Febuary 2014 - 29 weeks & 2 days

Wow sorry it has been a while since I last updated, it has been a traumatic couple of weeks mainly due to my back problems which I think I mentioned in my last post.

So what has been happening -
saw the doctor who said she thought it was sciatica and referred me to the physio at goole hospital.
the physio said that it was SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction) and the help they gave me was 2 work sheets, one with exercises and one explaining the illness.
as the week after physio went on, things got worse until 2 nights ago when I went to casualty as I could not move I was in so much pain that any movement, walking, sitting, standing, laying in bed, sitting on a chair was causing me very severe paint to the point of crying & screaming. I first rang the 111 service I found this to be very unhelpful to be honest, they even suggested my closest hospital was hull even though it was goole. At the hospital it was again suggested that my problem was sciatica, and again the service I received was shocking. 

The problem with the fact that some diagnosis I have been given suggest SPD & others suggest sciatica, is that the route of care for each is the complete opposite, which was driving me crazy as I could not plod on with either route & was feeling confused what to do for the best. 
For SPD suggestions are to move as little as possible & that doing certain movements could make the problem worse, whereas the suggestions for sciatica are to stay as active as possible & try stretches to stretch the pain out so to speak.

The first thing I have ended up doing is starting my maternity leave 4 weeks early, which was a hard decision as it meant losing out on a full months wage, but I had to do what was best for me & baby, and considering I am still not in a fit state, I think this was the right decision to make. 
I have also sold my car, as it failed its MOT, I was told it was best not to drive & my clutch leg was too painful to drive, also it made sense money wise to sell my car, although my other half struggles to let go & we are now sharing a car, I am unsure whether this was the right choice or not but only time will tell I suppose.

The second thing I have decided to do, with the money from my car, was to see a chiropractor, something which here in the UK has mixed opinions - especially when pregnant, as it involves massage and manipulation the body. I had my first session today & it was not cheap at £62 but considering the fact that now 7 hours later I am at least 50% more able to walk about than I was I feel is worth the money.
The chiropractor agrees that what I am suffering with is sciatica so I can now go full steam ahead in trying to tackle this. I am seeing him again on Monday & in the meantime he has given me lots of advice. Now I definitely don't think that this method would be for everyone, especially plus sized ladies like myself,as the first thing he mentioned was about my weight & was very forthcoming about the fact that I need to lose weigh, so I think you need to be quite thick skinned, but unusual for me I didn't take it to heart, as since being pregnant I do feel that is has become important to me to want to lose weight for my child & for any future pregnancies as the extra weigh really does come with a lot of added health risks as I have found out the hard way!

What else has been happening.... well we went to the first antenatal class, which was on breast feeding. The class had 40 people in, which was way too many for something like that, the information we received was ok but it wasn't at all how we expected with no chance to interact with other people attending the class, we have decided not to attend the other 3 classes.

Also had midwife appointment last week, everything was looking fine & dandy, also I passed the glucose test!

Sorry I think that's it for the last 2 weeks, it has been a very gruelling and painful time & I just hope that things improve so I can enjoy the last weeks of my pregnancy before my beautiful girl is here.

Right, measurements for this week:

Bust- 47"
Waist- 40"
Hips- 51.5"
Weight Gain- +1st 7lb


Symptoms this week:

-backache
- hip pain
- sleeplessness

- indigestion
- painful kicks
- stomach ache
- breathlessness
- depression/crying

Pictures of my bump this week: 

No comments:

Post a Comment